As we begin to age, the information we seek also begins to change. Instead of searching for “cute strapless dresses under $50” we suddenly start researching “benefits of glucosamine and chondroitin supplements.” This isn’t because you don’t wear strapless dresses anymore (you do, and you look fab!) but because you’re increasingly aware of your joint pain. If you suffer from hip or knee pain on a regular basis, then you know what a strain it puts on your daily activities. However, you can find relief from your joint pain that is effective, long-lasting, and doesn’t involve surgical treatments.
At Pain Treatment Specialists, you’ll meet with a Harvard-trained joint treatment Dr. who is specially trained in pain medicine. Their goal is treating your affected joint with interventional pain techniques that reduce your hip or knee pain, supplement your joint fluid, or use physical therapists to increase your strength and range of motion. Our joint treatment doctors do not suggest knee replacement or other surgical treatments unless medically necessary, and instead use joint pain treatments that get you up and moving the same day.
How Does a Joint Treatment Dr. Treat Joint Pain?
A joint treatment Dr. at Pain Treatment Specialists uses pain medicine to treat your affected joint. All of our pain doctors have extensive backgrounds in anesthesiology, pain medicine, and pain management. Their pain clinics in NYC and NJ are well-equipped with a wide variety of cutting-edge pain treatments for your hip or knee pain. During your initial appointment, your joint treatment Dr. listens carefully while you describe your joint pain concerns, and then uses a special x-ray to determine the exact cause and source of your pain. Next, your joint specialist creates a customized treatment plan that works to relieve pain in your affected joint. Some of the joint pain treatments you’ll find at our pain clinics include:
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapists are experts in exercise science and anatomy, which means that they are able to assess your joint pain and then create exercises and therapies that work just for you. Physical therapists use aerobic exercises, weights, and heat/ice therapy to increase your range of motion and build strength in your muscles.
- Corticosteroid Injections: If your hip or knee pain is caused by an underlying condition such as rheumatoid arthritis, then a corticosteroid injection reduces pain, swelling, and inflammation. Your joint treatment Dr. uses a special x-ray to determine the exact location of your joint pain, and then administers the corticosteroid through an injection.
- Genicular Nerve Block: Also known as a G block, this pain treatment is highly effective for knee pain. Genicular nerves move pain signals to your brain, and the nerve block prevents these signals from registering.
Schedule an appointment at Pain Treatment Specialists and see how our joint treatment doctors greatly improves your range of motion, strength, and quality of life.
Does Joint Pain Impact My Life?
When you live with a chronic pain condition, it’s easy to ignore how quickly your quality of life decreases. This is because you begin to adapt your day-to-day activities slowly, and don’t notice how much has changed unless you reflect on what you were once able to do easily. For example, when your joints ache, are you able to make it through your weekly grocery store trip easily? A year ago you might have had no problem making it through a large store with an even larger list, but now you need to make your trips short due to joint pain. It’s these subtle changes that add up over time, and greatly impact your quality of life. This is why meeting with a joint treatment Dr. at Pain Treatment Specialists is critical in order to get back to a pain-free life.
Joint pain also causes a lot of mental stress as well. When you suffer from osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, or chronic joint pain, your brain has to work overtime to compensate for your pain levels. You always have to be one step ahead of your joint pain, and need to anticipate your stiffness and soreness. Your weekly grocery trip is a great example of this. Before joint pain, you didn’t have to think twice about heading out for a long shopping trip. Now, you need to prioritize what groceries are absolutely essential so you can get back to your car quickly. Walking around a big store with a heavy cart isn’t easy when your joints ache! When you finally schedule an appointment at Pain Treatment Specialists, you’ll feel this mental weight disappear from your life, along with your physical pain.
Can I Treat Rheumatoid Arthritis at Home?
A joint treatment Dr. is essential when you suffer from rheumatoid arthritis. This autoimmune condition causes joint stiffness, swelling, and inflammation, which are all very painful. Your pain doctor has a wide variety of minimally invasive pain treatments that work to alleviate the pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis. However, you can find some pain relief from at-home treatments. Our pain doctors recommend the following tips for at-home joint pain relief:
- Weight Loss: Losing weight puts less stress on your hips, knees, and joints. The less you weigh, the less pressure is put on your affected joint.
- Use an Assistive Device: There’s nothing wrong with getting a little extra support from a cane or walker when your joints are hurting.
- Stay Active!:Keeping your joints moving prevents stiffness and soreness. Yoga, swimming, and tai chi are all excellent activities to keep your body in motion.
- Use Over-the-Counter Pain Relief: OTC medicines are fine for pain relief as long as you pay attention to the suggested dosage.
Book an appointment at Pain Treatment Specialists and meet with a joint treatment Dr. who knows how to effectively eliminate your joint pain. With locations in NYC and NJ, you’re just a phone call away from getting back to a pain-free life.