Back pain caused by pinched nerves is no joke. Although it sounds like a punchline to a wisecrack you made about “old people” when you were a kid, a pinched nerve can severely disrupt your life. What exactly is it? A pinched nerve happens when there’s too much pressure applied to a sensitive nerve from surrounding tissues. An example of this is a herniated disc in your lower back, which causes pressure on nerves that produces pain, tingling, and numbness in your back and legs. The pain is enough to make you sorry that your younger self ever dared to joke, “Ah! My pinched nerve! I can’t get up!”
The only way to find a proper diagnosis for pinched nerves, sciatica, or other back pain issues is to meet with a board certified back pain doctor. At Pain Treatment Specialists, you’ll find the best back treatment specialists at our state of the art pain clinics in NYC and NJ. Our back doctors treat back pain with minimally invasive back pain treatments that are designed to diagnose and treat chronic back pain. When you book an appointment at Pain Treatment Specialists, you’ll meet with a team of Harvard trained back doctors who are spine specialists.
Meet the Best Back Treatment Specialists
At Pain Treatment Specialists, every back doctor is trained and experienced in interventional pain medicine. This type of treatment and philosophy avoids back surgery or prescription narcotics for treating back pain. Primary care physicians do not have the same type of specialized training to diagnose and treat back pain. An orthopedic surgeon typically suggests back surgery to eliminate back problems, but this is not always necessary when more conservative modalities exist for pain management. You’ll find the best back treatment specialists at Pain Treatment Specialists, where our back pain doctors include:
- Dr. Namrata Khimani: Dr. Khimani graduated from Harvard Medical School with honors, and then completed her residency at New York Presbyterian Hospital- Columbia University. After being selected as Chief Resident here by her peers, she pursued an advanced fellowship in interventional pain medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital: Harvard Medical School. Dr. Khimani displays the same level of leadership and confidence at her back pain clinic, where she provides expert diagnosis and treatment of chronic back pain.
- Dr. Laura Lombardi: Dr. Lombardi also completed an interventional pain medicine fellowship at Harvard, which gave her specialized training in fluoroscopic-guided imaging techniques. This specific practice allows Dr. Lombardi the ability to precisely pinpoint the specific cause of your back pain, and provide targeted back pain relief.
When you schedule an appointment with the best back treatment specialists, you’ll receive the best level of care. Contact Pain Treatment Specialists and see how our expert back pain doctors remove back pain from your life.
How Does a Back Doctor Treat Back Pain?
What sets Pain Treatment Specialists apart from an orthopedic surgeon is the way they diagnose and treat back pain. The goal is avoiding surgery unless there is no other medical option. This is because back surgery is a time-consuming and highly-invasive procedure. Instead, the best back treatment specialists use their knowledge of interventional pain medicine to diagnose and treat back pain. Some of the minimally invasive back pain treatments found at our pain clinics include:
- Physical Therapy: A physical therapist has advanced knowledge of your back’s structure, as well as exercise science. Physical therapy, or PT, is used to increase strength, flexibility, and mobility in your back. Ideally, the exercises and movements you learn in PT can be continued on your own, which could also prevent future back pain issues.
- SI Joint Cooled Radiofrequency Ablation: Even though this treatment sounds like a mouthful, it is highly effective for patients suffering from pain caused by their sacroiliac (SI) joint. This cutting-edge treatment uses thermal energy to deactivate the sensory nerves in your SI joint, providing tremendous lower back pain relief. Only the best back treatment specialists offer this high-tech back pain treatment.
- Lumbar Facet Injection: This back pain treatment is also known as a lumbar facet joint block. Your back pain doctor injects a small amount of local anesthetic, which numbs the affected facet joints and “blocks” your back pain.
The best way to treat back pain is meeting with the best back treatment specialists. At Pain Treatment Specialists, you’ll find a wide variety of minimally invasive back pain treatments that are easily customized to treat your specific back pain issues.
At-Home Remedies for Pinched Nerves
Ideally, meeting with a back pain doctor is the best way to diagnose and treat your chronic back pain, such as pinched nerves. Our medical doctors utilize anti-inflammatory injections, radiofrequency ablations, and nerve blocks for targeted pain relief. However, you can find some relief for pinched nerves at home. According to the best back treatment specialists, here are some at-home remedies for pinched nerves:
- Be mindful of your posture. If you find your back hurting when sitting or standing in a particular position, adjust your stance.
- Stretching helps keep your back fluid and flexible. Beginning your day with 10 minutes of stretching, and utilizing these same techniques throughout the day, provides pain relief from pinched nerves.
- If you can utilize a standing workstation, do it! Keeping yourself mobile and active is a key way to improve pain caused by pinched nerves. Sitting for long periods of time can aggravate your back pain.
- Use RICE for pain relief. Rest your back when possible, ice for 20 minute intervals, compress your back with an athletic wrap, and elevate your back with pillows or cushions. When these steps are used together, they provide effective back pain relief.
Find relief from pinched nerves when you book an appointment at Pain Treatment Specialists. Our team includes the best back treatment specialists in the country, and our pain clinics in NYC and NJ provide minimally invasive and long-lasting back pain relief.